Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hey all!

Hope everyone is doing well and I hope that 2007 brings nothing but good to everyone.

I'm a little under the weather today, but managed to attend my first Jiu-Jitsu class at the Gracie Academy in Torrance. I was throwing up all morning, but since I had signed up, I forced myself to go. I met Ryron, Rener, and Rorion Gracie, which was a real thrill. Our class was taught by Rener, who was really patient and seemed to enjoy himself while he was teaching the class. A humbling part of the class was when Rener let us get the upper hand on him, by letting us get position on top of him (in the "I'm going to punch you in the face a bunch of times" mount that many of us imagine us to do in a fight), only to have Rener flip us over in a matter of seconds. Even better, we were taught how not only to do that, but how to force someone to submit from a mounted position (instead of wildly swinging at someone's face). Of course, as luck would have it, I got paired with the guy who was a little rougher than the rest, which is wonderful when your body is already aching from throwing up all morning. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and a great experience. I learned a couple moves that I could actually see myself using, if I ever got into a confrontation (god forbid).

I have a job interview on the 18th that I'm really looking forward to, but if I don't land the job (which would be disappointing, because it would be great to move, not that I don't love being in Southern California), I'll be enrolling in a 12 month program at the Gracie Academy. Either way, something new is just around the corner and I'm excited for whatever it may be. For now, this sickness, paired with a slightly overzealous partner has my neck in unbelievable pain and I can't even turn my head without wincing in pain. Hopefully, this is gone by tomorrow!

Regardless, wanted to let everyone know (not that anyone would object) that my website is actually going to undergo a bit of an overhaul over the coming weeks! I think it will be really fun to watch and read. In addition to the random rants and thoughts about current events, I'm intending to launch profiles on USC students or recent graduates who I believe are well on their way to becoming the "next big thing," even before they make it to that status. I hope that they're going to be some interesting stories on some fascinating people that I hope everyone enjoys! I have a couple lined up already, so if you stay tuned (or bookmarked), I hope it'll be as great as I think it will be.

School starts Monday, I'm gonna get some rest because my body is pretty much tapped out from this sickness.

No comments: