Sunday, December 24, 2006

Today, I received word from the new Editorial Director of the University of Southern California's Daily Trojan that my weekly column ("Thoughts from the Shower") will not be renewed for the Spring 2007 semester.

After enjoying the privilege of having a weekly column in the "DT" for the past two semesters, I cannot say that this news did not come as a bit of a shock to me. Writing for the Daily Trojan has truly been a passion of mine for the past couple years and leaving this part of my college life behind will be an adjustment to say the least. To my former editors, Jeremy Beecher (new Daily Trojan Editor in Chief), Sara Libby, and Katherine Kirkpatrick, I cannot thank you enough for providing me with the opportunity to see my name in print at USC for the past couple years.

While I am mildly considering being part of the Daily Trojan's new online blog, I admit that it is difficult for me to swallow my pride and say goodbye to one of the things that I enjoyed the most about my five years at USC - seeing my name in print in the Daily Trojan.

More than anything, I am disappointed that I don't have the opportunity to say goodbye in print to my readers who followed me over my semesters with the Daily Trojan. Had I known that my last article of the Fall 2006 semester was to be my last column, I would have loved to have had the opportunity to thank and say goodbye to the readers who wrote to me via Facebook, email, or letters to the Editorial Director. If any of those readers are reading now, I cannot thank you enough for your support and for making my experience writing for the Daily Trojan truly a dream come true.

Ever since coming to USC, it was always been a dream of mine to see my name in the Daily Trojan, or see my face end up in one of the newspaper's pictures. Before I knew it, I had the privilege of seeing my name in bold print on a weekly basis for my own column, with my own topics, under my own creative freedom. It was a privilege and something I took a lot of enjoyment and pride in doing.

It is with a very heavy heart and near tears in my eyes that I say goodbye to "Thoughts from the Shower." Again, thank you so much to my friends and other USC students who took the time to check out my articles every week and give me feedback, positive or negative, for whatever happened to come into my mind that week. Best of luck to the new editorial staff and I hope you guys do a great job. For whoever takes Wednesdays in Spring 2007, do it justice :)

One would think that as a full-time grad student with a full-time work schedule, that saying goodbye to another 4 hour weekly obligation would be a welcome gift for my final academic semester. Somehow, it's a bittersweet beginning to my final semester at USC.

Writing for the Daily Trojan allowed me to still feel connected to our undergraduate community and feel like I was more than just a grad student who showed up for class a couple nights a week. I met so many wonderful people because of my involvement with the Daily Trojan. I wish that I could continue to be an asset to members of the USC community through my column, but unfortunately, that's not the way things panned out.

Earlier this year, I received a heartfelt letter from a freshman student who thanked me for writing this article. She told me that it reminded her of her friends at home and that somehow, my article echoed the feelings she was feeling at the time. As a result, she posted my article in her dorm room to remind her of her friendships she had waiting at home, apart from her relationships she had formed at USC. It's moments like this that I will truly miss.

I knew that I was never the best writer on staff, nor the most insightful. However, I like to think that I was able to reach or teach just a few people every week through my column. Nothing was more flattering than receiving a message or email from a fellow student who took the time to read my article. It breaks my heart that I don't have the opportunity to say goodbye to my few, but loyal readers, but I am forever grateful for the opportunities that were provided to me.

As I come to grips with the fact that this chapter of my college career is over, I hope that this blog will be therapeutic and make up for what was lost this winter break and upcoming semester.

Otherwise, it's Christmas Eve :) Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.
-dc

No comments: