Tuesday, December 04, 2007

New Batman = Cool. New Joker = Old Grandma

Taken from my Rotten Tomatoes blog: A 20-Something Guy with the Entertainment Taste of a 14 Year Old Girl

So I checked out one of the newest news items here on RT on The Dark Knight and I have mixed feelings about the photos.

The Good: Batman



Why good?: Because he is wearing the same suit as one of my favorite Batman action figures that I used to play with as a wee lad in my bathtub as he battled with Mr. Sinister, Juggernaut, Krang from TMNT, and other assorted baddies (clearly, this is subjective). Because this action figure had the coolest suit, he was always one of the stars of the inter-comic world Royal Rumble - less muscles, more armor. Of course, the picture cuts off before what I'm sure is an enormous codpiece on the costume, which makes me like the picture more. I do love the stylish belt and powder container for Batman's cosmetics on his left side as well.


The bad: Joker (AKA: Ethel, the scenile grandma)


Why bad?: Where is the happy Joker? Where is the green hair and stylish persona with the devilish grin? This new Joker looks like an old lady who forgot how to put on makeup and pushes a shopping cart around town while finding it impossible to cover up her grays (but still tries). While I'm sure the new Joker will be great, these pictures seem to represent a much different Joker than I'm used to. This version looks like one of the Insane Clown Posse's grandmas who got a gift certificate to a horrible thrift store and forgot how to use shampoo.

Split ends, yuck!

2 comments:

lux said...

wow. i think you might be retarded.

Tatiana Marina Tsierkezou said...

I can't say I agree with you. I think the new Joker is deliciously vile in manner and appearance. He appears to be in a great deal more mental distress than the old one, even though, hands down, the old joker was legendary.