Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Scene Stealers: Amanda Bynes

Taken from my Rotten Tomatoes blog: A 20-Something Guy with the Entertainment Taste of a 14 Year Old Girl

There are good actresses, hotties, good tear-shedders, dudes with big muscles, people with nice hair, eyes, guys with low voices (what up, Prison Break), well-endowed blondes who die in horror movies, and beyond. However, there are certain actors/actresses that I feel like are completely visually irresistible - whether it be as a result of their personality, looks, performances, or overall persona.

While I don't think my list will be a typical list, here's my first scene stealer:

Amanda Bynes


Say what you will about the former All That cast member and the quality of movies that she participates in, but I think that Amanda Bynes is one of the more hilarious and irresistable actresses in the industry today.

With her dorky personality, funny faces, and ability to play the same character in different movies, but still have it not get anywhere close to old, Bynes is not only one of my favorite actresses, but a Hollywood starlet and teen queen that refreshingly hasn't been arrested or undergone a custody battle with her parents.

Good morning, Baltimore

It's true. She's the Man (43%) was not nearly as good as I thought it was. Sydney White (40%) was also not nearly as good as I thought it was. And Hairspray (93%)... ok that one was pretty good AND Bynes was great in it. Despite the quality of the aforementioned flicks, the reality is that Bynes made these teen movies watchable, funny, and (with the exception of Hairspray, which was good) borderline good (many will disagree and I'm ok with that). Films seem to be made with Bynes in mind because she manages to completely take over the roles and make every character that she plays effectively and uniquely hers.

I think she's pretty hot too.

Amanda Bynes is not the hottest girl in Hollywood, but on screen, she appears to be everyone's weird, quirky, yet fun and pretty female friend that they had growing up. She's warm and can pull off physical humor in a way that doesn't feel forced or annoying (see early to mid-career Jim Carrey faces). While an Oscar doesn't appear to be in Bynes' immediate future with the roles that she ends up playing, her charm makes her movies and even the television show What I Like About You worth watching. \

When Bynes is on screen, through her teenage silliness, upbeat craziness in her voice and hilarious portrayed naiveté, it's impossible to look away. She possesses a magnetic quality that many try and achieve in teen movies, but end up failing miserably and turning to the teen hottie to carry the movie. A user reviewer on Amazon.com called Bynes "one of the funniest teen actresses since Patty Duke" and I wholeheartedly agree.

So Amanda Bynes, you're my first Scene Stealer!

1 comment:

McBean said...

This is why we're friends. I have the taste of a 14-year-old girl too.