Monday, December 10, 2007

Rachel McAdams is My Favorite Actress

Taken from my Rotten Tomatoes blog - A 20-Something Guy with the Movie Taste of a 14 Year Old Girl

To be honest, I had a bit of an emotionally and physically draining day yesterday. But as an eternal optimist, I always love to pretend that everything is ok, so it is. If I believe it and act it, my very soft and pliable brain (which is as smooth as a dolphin's ass) is convinced that "it" is indeed "it."

While superlatives increasingly become things of the past as we get older and are things that we rarely ever say with any kind of relative sincerity ("Best. Movie. Evarrrrr." vs. "This is my best best friend in the whole worlddddd!!!" years ago) after we've received our high school yearbooks (once upon a time, I was "Best Personality" of my 2002 high school graduating class), I thought I would take a trip back into a time when it was cool to say what were your favorite things in the world.

My favorite actress: Rachel McAdams

A perennial mainstay on my list of hottest celebrities, Rachel McAdams (and her flawless skin and shiny hair) pretty much manages to play a dreamboat in every movie that she's in, whether she's supposed to or not. I don't think the girl can help it. When people hear that R-Mac is my favorite, they tell me that it makes sense because I seem to love happy girls with "cute personalities," and brown hair, which is more rare than you'd expect.

In Wedding Crashers (Certified Fresh @ 75%), she plays Claire, the perfect woman.


Dreamboat as a brunette... Oh to be a glass on that table...
And yes, I am creepy...

In Mean Girls (Certified Fresh @ 85%), even as the "Queen Bee" Regina George, McAdams is so likable in her over-the-top bougie meanness that she is completely irresistible as an antagonist turned glorious teen queen by the movie's conclusion. LiLo, who?

I just want to lose 5 pounds...
(a little less dreamy as a blonde)

While most love story loving women would say it's her best role, R-Mac played Allie, a girl who just LOVES to make out all the time, in girl-favorite flick The Notebook (51%), a movie with no balls at all. Somehow, because of McAdams, I still own it (as I do every movie on this list other than Wedding Crashers, which I'll probably get this weekend now that I have realized this).

Dude, we effing got it. Stop.

Even in Red Eye (Certified Fresh @ 79%), a movie that I don't think that many people saw (yet, I still bought on DVD without seeing it because she was in it), McAdams plays a amazingly cool under pressure hotel concierge-ish manager / supervisor / something / hospitality goddess.

Haha, oh you're so funnyyyy... YOU PSYCHO KILLER!!

Even as she's running for her life, it turns out that R-Mac was once a (hot) field hockey player! Not only is she a girly girl who likes to make out, she's athletic too! What made McAdams so great in Red Eye is that it showed that she can play "the smart" just as well as she can play "the spoiled, bratty ditz." And clearly, by the bevy of Certified Fresh medallions that are dangling from her talented neck, at least she's in good movies!

So yes, my favorite actress is Rachel McAdams - a dreamboat by any name.

No comments: