Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Chicago Sun-Times Goes Online

Ok, well not completely, but partially.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but now that more magazines (Life, Elle Girl, Premier, and more) and newspapers are going to partially online or full-online versions, I feel like we're going to be losing that excitement of getting a magazine in the mail (and having it be left unread for two months until you get around to it, making anything inside not even close to timely, but yet you emerged generally more informed than the general public) or opening your front door to pick up your newspaper (or hope that someone hasn't stolen it from outside your apartment complex). Is anyone going to get their latest issue of Wired in their email box and jump for joy? Maybe...but when I get my BusinessWeek Online emails, I always delete them, figuring that I'll just read it in the print version when I have a minute.

Are we ready for our long-time print friends to go all online? Personally, I find it tough to long articles and stories on my computer (if anyone has emailed with me, I apologize for the novels...), but that clearly seems to be the way that the print industry is going. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a portfolio-like small LCD-esque device that you carry around with a wireless connection that can download any of your subscribed magazines and arachives anywhere where you can get a Wi-Fi connection or piggyback on a cell phone carrier's EVDO network in the near future. No doubt it will be overpriced, but no doubt it could be the future.

It's also weird that stories like this and the fact that I'm struggling with the idea of online-print media makes me feel old...and I'm 23.

No comments: