Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sports, Entertainment, Sports, Entertainment, Sports Entertainment?

Stemming from my job search almost 8 months ago, I get daily emails from MLB.com (Major League Baseball) that tell me about new jobs that are available at different teams around the league. While they're supposed to be geared to my preferences, I generally get information about jobs in ticket sales, administration, human resources, and even groundskeeping! Once in a while, there's a really good one.

And this morning, well, there was a really good one for the Houston Astros. It was one of those rare job descriptions that you read at 23 years of age and think "I could do and have done every single one of those things..." And honestly, every now and then these things are all kinds of tempting. I remember when I was doing phone interviews with the Atlanta Braves and they were thinking about flying me out to Atlanta to meet with their staff before my stupid Master's thesis killed that idea. I was so excited about the chance to work for a team - something that I pictured myself doing many a time during my college career.

In case any of my co-workers stumble upon here, no, I didn't apply. But yes, it was really tempting. Despite my love for Salsa dancing (I'm going to class today for almost three hours in a bit), Carrie Underwood, teeny boppers, and So You Think You Can Dance that says otherwise, sports is something that I feel like I know. I spent so much time with it and working various camps and whatnot aside from USC that I feel like it's an industry that I could do much more than just survive, but actually do really well in. I'm not enamored by it, nor do I have a false sense of the glamorous life that people think that comes with it. If you're not a player or a coach, I know that it's gritty, underpaying, and that people treat you like ass. But when sports comes calling, it's hard for me to resist and I can't really explain why.

And I know that there are good days and bad days in the office when you're an entry level drone. There are projects that are amazing, but there are moments when all of us question (who aren't just inheriting mommy and daddy's company) if we went to college to learn how to unjam a printer and set up email acocunts (though, I understand that's really important sometimes). For me, accumulating an extra $20k or so in debt to do grad school doesn't really feel like a good idea at the moment. I'm hoping that it'll pay off one of these days, but because I'm too stubborn and hell bent on being non-traditional, the payoff will likely come later rather than sooner.

Since I love sports and like entertainment, I should just work for the WWE - Sports Entertainment.

Rest in peace, homeys.

Tempted, but staying put...

No comments: