Tuesday, October 16, 2007

There are good days and well...

There will be bad days...

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot that we can do about either of them. They just seem to come and go as they please.

There are some days that are amazing, when you see your name published on websites that you never thought you'd see it published and people think you're sooooo cooool (omfgggg).

Then, there are other days when you realize that your smart friends went on to have careers more relevant to our degrees after grad school and make almost twice as much money as you do, despite the fact that you have the same degree and had similar grades.

And though that sucks a lot of times, there are days when you're happy you're not doing what "they're" doing because you think you're making your way to where you eventually want to end up (just like they are, but they seem a lot closer to it), no matter the cost - financially and in terms of swallowing your pride every now and again, or well, every day.

Not every, but most every 20 something seems to reach a point of mid-20's crisis in their lives.

Me? I don't think I'm at that point. I think that I've become too emotionally detached from pretty much anything and everything to feel like I'm ever at any kind of crisis. Everything generally operates at a level that I like to call "a little better than ok."

However, I have to admit that there are days when unjamming printers and supplying my wing of the office with semi-perishable snacks is not the easiest thing in the whole world.

In the office world, someone else jamming the printer or the printer running out of toner becomes a complete disaster.

A mean email or passive aggressive IM sends people into a tailspin of "wtf"-ness. People panic. F-words are exchanged. Well-dressed people in pressed shirts start running down hallways in their wingtipped kicks.

Somehow, this administrative world that is such a big part of many a 20-something's life manages to create drama that believes it is something much worse (it's not) than running out of footballs at a 3 day high school football camp that you just figured out the logistics for over the course of 15 minutes at 5:45AM for a camp that starts at 7:00AM.

5 minutes without laser printer toner, paper clips, or even your free snacks that you pay for running out somehow becomes more of a disaster than having a football coach keep telling you to "get your f*cking sh!t together" for almost 12 hours straight after that coach has no idea that you were working until 3AM in the morning the night before just to make sure he had a clean shirt to wear.

There are some days when I think about how we made full marketing plans in grad school, communication plans, and somewhere along the way, I wrote a long paper that we called a thesis. And there are some days that are tougher than others to just swallow one's pride, grin, and bear it.

Most days, I'm happy to do it. Other days, it doesn't come too easy. I've been having a few of those days lately.

When people ask me about what I'm doing, or about how it is to be an assistant after grad school, my first response is that it's "character building." Really, it is.

I've learned a lot and I feel lucky to be where I am, but man, it is character building.

Being an assistant is exactly what being a student manager for a college football team is. There are moments of greatness and excitement and moments of "I can't believe I am picking up dog sh!t with my hands" (football only).

Hopefully, it gets me to where I want to be, but it's hard not to think that you have to get there yourself sometimes.

Hanging in. Almost Wednesday.

1 comment:

Lena said...

OH! We've grown apart I feel :(
I loved this blog, now I can say you're endearing and refreshing ;) You are doing great things - I'm proud of you! You are going places, and working twice as hard to get there! Hope the weekend finds you well!