Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Touching Equals Detention in One Virginia Area School

Hugging was 13-year-old Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was let off with a warning, but the cost of a repeat offense could be detention.

A rule against physical contact at Kilmer Middle School, about 10 miles west of Washington, is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

Hal, I think hugging is a good thing too, bro. What is this, are we living in Demolition Man?

"Be well, Hal Beaulieu."

This is the most playa-hatin' rule I've ever heard of in my life. Put your arm around that secret crush and handle it, homey.

What does the basketball team do to celebrate after games? Do they do the air-high five and "wax on, wax off" like Demolition Man? I remember when middle school was fun.

No comments: